Before and after commencing at NAVIRE, Matthew Snow was the VPA Senior Development Manager for the East Werribee Employment Precinct Redevelopment Project from 2015 to 2018 from project planning through to development facilitation / leading the to-market process for this major urban renewal project.
The State Government sought to divest the 775ha former State Research Farm site (approximately 30km from the Melbourne CBD) to enable the development of a modern and high-employment generating precinct in Melbourne’s rapidly growing west, integrated with public transport and high quality residential and commercial uses. The planning scheme sought to deliver professional employment based on the health and learning industries.
The site was of such a large scale as to enable the delivery of a transformative, city shaping urban renewal project. The site also presented a complex set of development constraints, most significantly, contamination, flooding, and a lack of public transport and road infrastructure.
- Preparation and endorsement of the East Werribee land divestment strategy;
- Preparation of an integrated remediation and water management strategy for the precinct;
- Coordination and provision of advice on the project delivery structuring options and partnering role between the State (landowner) and private sector development / investment consortium, as well as Market sounding and feasibility analysis to inform valuations and market processes;
- Preparation and management of the Request for Expressions of Interest process for the 400ha ‘Major Development Parcel’ located in the centre of the precinct;
- Negotiation with the preferred bidder on behalf of the State regarding development rights and obligations, infrastructure agreements, Government loan and other key conditions precedent to facilitate project delivery;
- Project governance, probity, and stakeholder (internal and external) management.
Where it’s at
- Strong market response to the EOI / RFP process;
- Private sector partner, Australian Education City, selected as Preferred Developer, with a negotiated Project Development Agreement Terms Sheet awaiting Government endorsement;
- Whole-of-government engagement and project facilitation for a highly-complex and challenging project; and
- Substantial value creation and capture opportunities identified for the State of Victoria, which are proposed to be utilised to contribute to public transport and other infrastructure at the precinct.